So the 4th of July is over but you are stuck with a ton of watermelon. What on earth are you going to do with all of this pink juicy goodness? Well I was asking myself the same question. So I did a little research. I had no idea how amazing this fruit was and all the things you can do with it!
It is refreshing. It is sweet. It combats the heat. It is low maintenance. It is healthy. It is cheap. It is FUN!
One cup of diced watermelon (152 grams) contains:
- 43 calories
- 0 grams of fat
- 2 milligrams of sodium
- 11 grams of carbohydrate (including 9 grams of sugar)
- 1 gram of fiber
One cup of watermelon will provide the following percentage of daily vitamins:
- 17 percent of vitamin A
- 21 percent of vitamin C
- 2 percent of iron
- 1 percent of calcium
Watermelon also contains thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, choline, lycopene, and betaine. According to the National Watermelon Promotion Board, watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable.
Is there a down side to this amazing fruit?!?
Not really. Excessive consumption of watermelon can cause stomach discomfort or diarrhea because of the Vitamin C and Lycopene it contains. But you have to eat a TON of it. Also if your potassium levels are high (seen in heart patients or diabetics) you need to limit your consumption. As with anything – there can be too much of a good thing.
ROAST SEEDS. BLEND SMOOTHIES. ADD TO SALADS. JUICE IT!
Watermelon Salad with Mint & Feta: click here for recipe and free printable!
Grilled salty sweet goodness!
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 personal-sized watermelon (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest (from 1 to 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Lime wedges from zested lime, for serving
- Heat the grill. Heat an outdoor gas grill to high or prepare a charcoal grill for direct heat grilling.
- Cut the watermelon. Trim the ends off the watermelon. Stand the watermelon on one cut end, cut in half, then cut each half in half again. Cut the quarters into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Season the watermelon. Combine the sugar, lime zest, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Sprinkle the watermelon slices on both sides with the sugar mixture, then rub the sugar mixture in to create an even coating.
- Grill the watermelon. When the grill is hot, add the watermelon slices in a single layer and grill until warmed through and grill marks appear, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve. Serve the grilled watermelon on its own with lime wedges, topped with feta cheese or Greek yogurt, or as dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
- Eat immediately.
Do not remove rind when grilling.
Now for the fun stuff! What fun can you have with watermelon?
Watermelon eating contest: melon wedge. hands behind back. who can eat the melon fastest?
Seed spitting contest: who can spit the seed farthest?
Watermelon Bowling: set up pins made of 1lt bottles filled with water. bowl with the melon to knock down pins.
Watermelon Carving: like carving a pumpkin without the candles.
Watermelon Skiing: put on watermelon shoes. plastic tarps on grass. pull skier with rope.
Watermelon Roll: see who can roll the watermelon to the finish line first.
Watermelon Pinata: watermelon on ground. blindfold a person. give em a stick. give them 3 wacks.
Watermelon Squeeze: click here for link to instructions
So now you have ideas for your leftover watermelon. Or new watermelon ideas for Labor Day! How do you enjoy your watermelon? Lets hear your ideas in the comments! Melon on Moms!